Saturday, March 29, 2014

Favorites V

So I finally got into a "writing mood" I guess and had some really deep thoughts that have to get out or else I think I'll combust with the deepness and my attempts at being viewed as a shallow teenager throughout the duration of my high school years will be for naught.

If you're not sure whether or not that last sentence made any grammatical sense, I'm not that sure myself, but fret not!! For I'm pretty sure I'm sane. For now.

Now before I get to my deep musings or whatever let me just make a quick comment on the topic of hiccups. Hiccups are annoying as Hell if Hell were a person with sweaty hands, dirty hair, and a nasally voice. And for some reason, whenever I feel like I'm being smart, or try to talk intelligently with people of this world, I'm suddenly plagued with multiple bouts of hiccups. 

I HATE HICCUPS! 

!%®´ß∂&!ˆÍƒ∫ å˙˜µ≈ˆ∫ ß√§∞‹€Ç◊‡Ô°‰$%^*◊Ç›€´◊ıÓ°fl‹€›fl¨~„ŒÍ◊ıÂ◊‡Ô°‰$% ©≈†ßœ¥˚Ωåµ∂÷≥^*◊Ç#Î)@!$χÓ!%®´ß∂&!ˆÍƒ∫ å˙˜µ≈ˆ∫ ß√§∞µ≈ˆ∫ ß√§∞‹€Ç◊‡Ô°

Okay. So as we all know, favoritism sucks buns.

Having favorites changes the amount of attention we give to any one thing at a time, and that can really affect things. Like, lets say you have a garden, and you claim to love all your plants and love caring for them and treat them like your children and so on and so on, right? Well let's say in your head you have one or two of your favorite plants, whether they're your favorite due to aesthetics, scent, durability, practicality, or just because, it doesn't matter. Just the fact that in your head, that plant is somehow special to you, is all that matters.

I mean, if it's your favorite plant, you're going to spend more time paying attention to it obviously. You'll do your best not to neglect little things like whether that new leaf is too dry or if that flower bud has been half open for too long or whatever. You'll notice. And then you'll do your best to help it and fix it and let it grow, am I right? (The correct answer was yes.)

All of that attention for one plant in a garden of hundreds, all because it's your favorite. Where is the logic?

It's no where.

Which makes me have some really cynical thoughts. I mean, you could be someone's favorite for any reason really. You might never even KNOW the reason. You might not ever even know that your ARE their favorite. But all of the perks of being a persons favorite will be yours, whether you know it or not, and you can never change it unless you change yourself, which, as we all should know by now, is no easy task.

So the whole idea of following your dreams and trying hard to do what you want and being who you are and whatever, it all seems like some joke if you think about the fact that all of the effort one puts into being their true self could be for nothing if they aren't the favorite of certain people. If you can't get people to like you, then no matter how much talent you have or how much determination and persistence you show, it won't matter. You can't get anywhere without being a favorite. Actually let me revise. 

You can't get anywhere without being somewhat well liked.

The world is a harsh place and sometimes it makes me want to crawl up under the covers and hide my face and sleep and sleep and sleep like a bear during the winter with fuzzy pants on and a super comfy tank top and all of my favorite songs playing in my head over and over. 

But I can't do that and really, I wouldn't be happy with such an unsatisfactory life. Because one lesson I've learned over the years is that safe does not necessarily equal happy. That sounds so deep in retrospect, but I actually learned that from a trivial matter dealing with vacuums and homework. 

ANYWAYS! That concludes my probably meaningless rant on something that seemed far more important when I thought it than when I wrote it all out. If you actually gleamed anything of value from all of this feel free to comment. Or just comment for the heck of it. I don't really care. I'm tired. Sigh.

8 comments:

  1. "love all you plants" TRY PROOFREADING FOR ONCE BAKA!!!! (>~<)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gomen!! ;~; But I have a headache and am a lazy bum. GOMEN NASAI SENPAI DX

      Delete
  2. Daijoubu desu, watashi mo bakada!!! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hai, hai (/◕ヮ◕)/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally random, but your plant just analogy just made me think of my childhood philosophy. I used to have tons of stuffed animals all over my bed. Literally, they were EVERYWHERE. I never wanted to show favoritism to one particular stuffed animal by hugging him all the time when I went to sleep. So, every day, I would hug a different stuffed animals. There ended up being two problems with that. First of all, some of the stuffed animals were really big. Secondly, I would lose track of which stuffed animals I recently hugged, so I would forget about which ones were due for a cuddle. Was that just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit, I used to have a stuffed animal addiction. I know I don't seem like the type but it's true. Up through second grade I think (approximation) I kept so many stuffed animals on my bed that you couldn't see the bed. I had a problem. That problem is gone now, luckily for me.

      Delete

    2. I understand your pains people. A little too well actually. I had to be fair with not only stuffed animals, but with my food (I ate in a pattern), with my clothes (I didn't have a favorite shirt or anything ever), and with my hair (when I was little there were maybe six or seven hairstyles I switched through every week). :P Don't judge (^__^ ;;)

      Delete