Saturday, July 7, 2012

Favorites

Today I asked my dad what his favorite memory was. I said "Papa? What's your favorite memory?"


He starts walking away. "I have to tell the boys something." I follow him. He tells the boys they can watch a half an hour of Cartoon Network because he wants to watch the end of Tour de France.


So I asked him if he has a favorite memory. I said "Papa? Do you have a favorite memory?"


He looks at me and says "Maya. I have a lot of good memories. Okay?"


While I'm listening I realize a few things: a) "Maya." is not a complete sentence, b) You are not supposed to say "a lot" when you are not talking about a piece of land or an actual lot, c) "good" is the most obviously simplistic adjective that is over used and the one that teachers always bring up when they are telling you to use specific 'juicy' words to describe something, and d) the "okay" at the end was said in a slightly annoyed tone of voice and that under other circumstances I should be offended but I'm not because it is a very hot day and I completely understand him. But still, for someone so smart, he doesn't always make the best choice when it comes to speaking. Come to think of it neither do I. Not that I really care. It's just interesting.


He starts walking towards the back door to talk to my mother about something and clean the grill (we just had lunch) but before he gets there I ask what his happiest memory is then. I said "Papa? What is your happiest memory then?"


He looks at me, hand on the door knob (we keep it completely closed to keep the house cooler) and he says "Not right now Maya. Ask me later."


And that's it. After reading this you probably think I'm pretty weird or slightly mentally disabled. But I'm not. But most of my friends agree with the weird part, but just jokingly. And if you were to mention the mentally disabled part to them, they would probably blow up in your face. And if you were to mention that to me about them, they would restrain me while I tried to get right in your face and tell you what I thought you were. So your best bet is to not say anything slightly demeaning (or overly flattering, bordering on kiss-up), unless you know us pretty well. But then again you probably wont meet any of us, and if you did you wouldn't realize who we were. So you're good...for now...dun dun dun! ")


btw my dad's favorite memories were proposing to my mother (it's a funny story) and finding out they were pregnant with me...even if they didn't know it was me at the time.


Alrighty! Now that this is over I should figure out how to format this blog. It's so different using the new format. Where is that button?...

4 comments:

  1. maya the only thing i can really say is i love u!!! i love how u write, talk, ur personality, how u think, and many many many other things about u!!!! ur hillarious!!! and yes everything u said about us is totally tru!!! and yes u r wierd!!! in a jokingly way!! once again its juliet btw sry about that

    ReplyDelete
  2. really!
    o! Hi JULES!! do u like the blog?
    (tht was for any of u guys)
    and thx for tht txt yesterday (thts for jules)
    cya guys soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, that was jules? i was thinkin blonde crust...

    ReplyDelete