Thursday, June 20, 2013

Favorites III and Power II

Over the past year, I've grown to strongly dislike having favorites and taking sides. As of right now, I have no favorite color, favorite song, favorite movie, favorite person, favorite number, favorite memory, favorite ANYTHING. It also make answering questionnaires that much easier to respond to. 

Q: What's your favorite subject?
A: I don't pick favorites.
Q: What's your favorite hair style?
A: I don't pick favorites.
Q: What's your favorite dish?
A: I don't pick favorites.

and so on. Without favorites the world is just that much easier for me to live in. Also, another thing I don't like about favorites, more specifically favoring certain people over others, is that it gives them a sort of power over you.

Teacher: Alice bring this to the office.
Alice: But I thought I was your favorite!?
...or...
Mother: Sammy! That painting is amazing!
Sammy: Does this mean I can have that new game?
Mother: No.
Sammy: But I thought I was your favorite!?

See? People in power chose favorites, who in turn have power over the people in power. The world is in this weird cycle made of favorites and power, and it goes through it every second. This is why I dislike favorites. But it's not like I don't like anything. I like to dance and ski and snowboard and eat and sleep and the colors blue and purple and gray and the taste of the noodle soup at the noodle soup place in Eatontown, but if you asked me for a favorite, I'd tell you I didn't pick any. One thing in my mind is not held above all the others. It's not fair. So I just tend to avoid it. It's easier to live in this world that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment